Tuesday, April 8, 2014

easter pysanka for rednesday






(Edited to add:  PLEASE NOTE, these are my mom's postcards of pysanka ... I didn't take the photos and they aren't my pysanka. Wouldn't that be lovely to have so many?!)

Digging deep to find some red for Rednesday! Found these old postcards of my mom's from Slovakia, featuring pysanka eggs.  (I don't know for sure if they predate the dissolution of Czechoslovakia in 1993 or not??? )

Any guesses what the wooden item with folk painting is? It looks like a noise maker?

Many many years ago, there was an article in the L.A. Times about a pysanka exhibit at the Ukrainian Art Center here in Los Angeles and my mom and I went. Such a lovely exhibit. Very few were for sale but I did buy one, a black one with reds and oranges - I'll have to hunt for it! 



Joining in on the Rednesday fun with Melody at Brown Gingham Creations, hope you will too!



10 comments:

  1. Love your beautiful eggs!! I am of Polish descent and I am quite familiar with the art of Pysanky eggs!!
    Thanks so much for sharing them with us!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!
      So glad you enjoyed the pysanky eggs ... sorry to disappoint though, they're just postcards. Alas, not mine. Boo hoo ...

      Happy Rednesday!

      Delete
  2. Oh how special Sally! Gorgeous photos of gorgeous eggs. Love the beautiful dish too. Now dig deeper for that egg you bought, we want to see. Happy Rednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam!
      Oh gosh, sorry ... those aren't my pysanky or my photos, they're postcards sent to my mom by a pen pal in Czechoslovakia. Glad you enjoyed them and wish the goodies were mine but no such luck.

      Happy Rednesday!

      Delete
  3. So sweet! I don't have any guesses, but they sure are cute!! Love the pretty plate too! Happy Wednesday!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly!
      Glad you enjoyed the postcards ... wouldn't it be lovely to have a collection of pysanky?! I love the plate too and whatever the wooden thing is LOL.

      Happy Rednesday!

      Delete
  4. What treasures. You've done a wonderful job displaying your very special eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim!
      Oh dear, I'm so sorry, I don't have anything to do with the photos ... I'm sharing postcards of my mom's and I seem to have confused everyone. Such sweet comments but neither the eggs or photos are mine. How fun it would be to have a collection of pysanky!

      Happy Rednesday!

      Delete
  5. Your eggs are lovely and I know so very special!! Hard to believe that it's been so long since the split. I was in Prague in 1987 and it was my most favorite visit!! the people are lovely and the food wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzan!
      Sadly, the eggs pictured aren't mine - wouldn't it be fun to have a collection like that?! How wonderful you got to go to Prague, other people have told me how much they loved it too. Amazing how long ago it was now!
      Happy week to you!

      Delete