Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Grammie's Reds

(Please visit Sue at It's A Very Cherry World for lots more Rednesday fun!)

(I am also joining Vintage Thingie Thursday this week.)
Please visit Suzanne at Colorado Lady for lots more VTT fun!


I was having a bit of a problem coming up with something red that wasn't about Christmas and I started to go through my paternal grandmother's things and found a very small cardboard box. Inside I found some of my grandmother's sewing bits and bobs. So much fun. And there I found some reds. Yippie yippie yippie! I can remember my grandma making clothes for my Barbie dolls but I think that's about all the sewing she got up to in her later years.

Do you have memories of your grandmother sewing things for you?



I also found an envelope of photos - photos of my grandmother with three of her four sisters. I can't find anything to tell me the name of her sister missing in the photos, or what became of her. WAH! To all you young whippersnappers out there, remember to ask those questions early - almost every question I ask my father now, he responds with an "I don't know". Kicking myself squarely and loudly in the patootie for not asking sooner.


My grandma is the second from the right ... the smiling one, strangely enough. She was rather a tough old bird and tended to turn up her nose a lot in judgment of others and boy, did she ever have that "if looks could kill" look down pat!!! Good to know she could break out a smile now and then teehee.

I think I shared the following family group photo before ... I am guessing that the sister on the far left (of the above photo of the sisters), is the youngest sister in this family group photo below. My grandmother is the second youngest girl, smack dab in the middle of the group shot. Sadly, as I said, I can't match up the remaining three with the two remaining above.

I did find a newspaper clipping about one of their brothers passing away in 1951 and at that time, the newspaper only listed their being four sisters alive (and all other brothers had passed away by then).


20 comments:

  1. I have been working on my family's history. My dad had us children late in life so all my cousins are old enough to be my Mom. All my aunts and uncles were quite old, let alone any great aunts or uncles I had growing up. Yes, a lot of family history is gone. When you are young you don't think of these things....to know to ask. By the way, I am glad that you like my Krispy Kan tin. When I found it, I was just so giddy excited. It is a fun piece. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vintage sewing supplies and old family photos - two of my favorite things too. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post -old photos and things with memories-simply the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally,
    And Happy New Year!! I love your post!!! What treasures, indeed!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Grandmas sewing things are very dear. I remember my Mom sewing Barbie clothes for me. About the pic's , you could probably find out the missing sisters name through Census records if you really wanted to dig into it. I was researching some family stuff and found out alot of info thru Ancestry.com. I joined for the 2 week trial period. Anyway-it's addicting-like we have nothing better to do. lol. I just wrote a book in your comment space. Sorry. Anyway -have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Sallie. You have really triggered some memories for me on this post. My Grandma made my prom dress, my wedding dress, my jumpsuit p.j.'s, my polyester robe and my cowgirl shirt. I have saved them all in my "Sentimental Clothes" box. LOL, but it is true. I am going to make a post on all of that soon, now that you gave me the idea.

    Your Grandma is awesome, I love her smile!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post and beautiful memory! I don't know my grandmas on both sides of my parents..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post. Great family photos. I was close to my grandmother. She had many friends and I heard them talk and gossip. Things that happened in 1939 sounded like it happened last week. Now, their families ask me for details and photos about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It brings back great memories going thorough grandparents things. I have some of my grandmother's from my mother's side. It makes me feel like she is still here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. I'm your newest follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a nice family group photo. Too bad you can't identify all the people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great photos! I love what you said about your grandmother...made me smile! Lots of neat sewing reds too!! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful post. I loved this. I can sure remember my gm sewing for us. She was a professional seamstress sewing for all the ladies in town. We lived with her and our house was just like a store. Folks coming and going all the time. And then Canasta games on Sunday afternoon. Memories came back to me from reading your post. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sally, what great old pics of your Grandma and her sisters. And you are right, there are so many questions I wished I had asked and now it is too late. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend! xxoo Nan
    ps, my b-day is the 28th, so ours are very close!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a wonderful time looking for something red and stumbling upon all these treasures. Sure enjoyed reading about them! My granny loved to sew and craft. I'm sure that's where my creative genes come from!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the old photos. My grandma love to sew for the family. I have many of her treasures today.
    I thought my mom was the only one that had mastered the "if looks could kill look."
    Have a good week-end, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  17. What wonderful reds! And the old photos are great keepsakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the old sewing things from your Grandma & the old Family pics .Although , my Grandma could sew, My Mama was considered the seamstress in her family because of her talent for sewing. This post reminds me of her & watching her sew I was young .(She will be 81 in March.)
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I loved this post, reading about your family and seeing your photos. My grandma wasn't that good at sewing. I have quilts that she made, but they are functional more than pretty. They still mean a lot to me:) Twyla

    ReplyDelete